Sunday, September 9, 2007

Aspect: The Chronicle of New Media Art: Vol. 9

Aspect: The Chronicle of New Media Art: Vol. 9

Like this new one a lot more than past seasons. the focus was on performance art/film. really liked marisa olsen's "black & white." nina yuen & tanja ostojic brought a down to earth tangible freshness to this genre as well. there was also the type of stuff i associate with performance art >>>like the chick laying askew on concrete wrapped in seaweed & changing from time to time as an installation piece.

how it relates to me:

my intent: for the most part, it made me more aware of current work being down. i found it interesting that there seems to be a shift back toward the personal narrative>>>at least this dvd from netflix gave me that impression.

how it relates to the stuff i am doing now:
the seaweed stuff had the veiled quality that i find myself returning to. think this may be inherent to digital montage. olsen's facial distortions may have attracted me since that can be one of the fun "happy accidents" when doing motion captures on a flatbed scanner. so i guess it relates more to my roots than where i am going. then again, on the narrative aspect to this dvd, if not intentional, i always find a revealing narrative in a painting at some point. i just gessoed over a large newly finished landscape that i felt was too negative & not something i wanted pursue or share. after all the landscape stuff i have been reading i may be getting either more symbolic or more aware of self referencing in my work.

No comments: