Wednesday, December 19, 2007

studio reflection for this semester

Studio Component Summary & Reflection


Agenda proclaimed at June 07 Residency:

Goal: To integrate my digital work with my paintings

Concept: create a range of studies that combine:

· Loose drawings (from life or memory as they relate to my project)

· Digital with paint

· Paint into digital

· Possibly repeat process

· Composite studies

· Pending the results of these studies, a series of larger works will be created and presented.

Quantity: Final series will most likely be an odd number with quantity determined by size. At this moment I am anticipating 5 or 7 images in this series.

Size: Final artwork will utilize the 12-15ft exhibition space offered at AIB during the January 08 residency. Pending preliminary studies and mentor feedback, I intend to use a square format to reference the digital element in this exploration. Therefore, sizes could be somewhere between 2x2’ and 4x4’

Materials:

  • Acrylic or acrylic mix media
  • Studies will most likely be on paper, canvas or hardboard
  • Final series will be determined by results and mentor input.
  • Since this is an exploration, paper, canvas, hardboard, plastic or metal are to be considered as possible solutions. Although unlikely, projections or 3D are feasible results.

Final product: The exhibition of a paint/computer hybrid image series (alongside preliminary studies).

Results

Paint into digital:

What I did:

  • scanned paintings to manipulate digitally
  • Create digital images to print and then paint (in lieu of photographs)

What I learned:

  • Manipulating/montage of paintings in Photoshop was not unlike what I have done in the past > no major breakthroughs
  • Images created digitally with the intent to paint translate better for me if they are rough or unfinished. For me the paint must contribute to the image & there I found that ‘trashing” images through deconstruction, addition of pattern, and conversion to grayscale created “under-paintings” to print and paint upon.
  • My photographic prints of manipulated paint-digitals lend themselves to re-digitizing.

Digital into paint:

What I did:

  • Printed paint-digital “under-paintings” on large BW printers/cheap bond paper at Kinko’s
  • Coated paper with layers of acrylic gel medium prior to painting.
  • Some had the bond paper removed after to create transparent images.
  • Painted on color photographic prints of paint-digital images
  • Controlled mindset/mood through active choice of music or audio-books while painting.

What I learned:

  • That painting on printed images (even ones I created solely) was a taboo for me. I found that clung to creating digital images in an effort to skirt the painting part of my agenda.
  • A lot more about creating images for this type of printing/paper and for transparency, as well as painting with acrylic on bond paper.
  • That painting big feels natural for me and is more rewarding to work on since larger scale images can envelope me during process as an environmental experience.

Project in Retrospect:

What I learned:

Conceptually: I learned via John Berger that the environments of our childhood dictate the palette and influences of images created in adulthood. For me, I reflect on the La Brea Tar Pits, Museums, and rides like Disneyland’s submarine, Catalina’s glass bottom boat, and Pacific Ocean parks leaky diving bell. These experiences evoked fear and pleasure for me. Additionally, I see the seaweed images as having embryonic or Darwinian images while referencing my past themes of veiling and the content of space. My readings on landscape painting helped me to identify my historical influences, penchants, and future endeavors that I may actively choose these aspects in the future.

In process: I worked with familiar mediums in a new way, with new images and palette. This forced me out of my comfort zone which enhanced skills while fueling ideas for future projects.

Visually: The digital-paint processes heavily influenced my results. I would not have created the resulting images in the mindset and knowledge I possessed prior to these endeavors. Working with variations of the same prints multiple times with paint was new and rewarding for me.

What I would do differently:

Unless creating transparent images, I would opt to print on canvas rather than paper in the future. It would be better to spend the money (now that I know what I am doing) rather that the excessive time needed to prep and work with the prints. However, printed canvas could present a range of new issues requiring adaptation.

Tangents & future possibilities:

  • At the moment I am weary of seaweed, yet find the imagery visually seductive >so, I will most likely return to it in the future.
  • The processes I explored will most likely resurface since “the message dictates the medium” and therefore I see these cross-process hybrids as suitable and viable choices of expression in my future.
  • The acrylic gel transparency process inspired the concept of capturing images of pressed tattoos against glass (copier or digital camera) with the intent of creating “skins” that become portraits of their owners. I believe the tattoo images created or selected in my area will depict the unique local color while documenting the issues of marginalization socially and in the workplace of this cultural subgroup. While I grew through my isolation in the studio, I missed interpersonal exchange inherent of working artistically in the community.
  • Plan to test the gel transfer process to see what materials it will work with, such as watercolor, pastel, graphite, and various printed materials.
  • Plan to experiment with layering/collage of multiple thin gel layers as well as embedding stuff.
  • May take paintings back into the computer as a departure for new digital images.
  • May use paintings on paper for a collage/paint project

No comments: